Thursday, October 1, 2009

Thing 5

Though I don't have a ton of experience with Flickr, I do use other photo sites (such as the photos area on Facebook and Snapfish) so as I was reading through the Flickr tool, a lot of it was very familiar. What is different on Flickr than on different sites I've used is the tags (but I'm familiar with Tags from LibraryThing.... and Blogspot), the organizational scheme (I'm used to photos only being allowed to be in one album, instead of sets and collections).

The most intruiging feature I discovered that is different from other photo sites I've used is the geographical tagging tool. I think this is amazing! I think this has great possibilities for tourists....though in exploring this, I also found photos that really didn't have anything to do with the geographical location it was tagged with.

Anyhou, so I decided to use this feature and find some fun pictures. I grew up in rural southern Minnesota and thought I'd see if there were any photos geotagged around my hometown - suprisingly enough, I found an interesting picture. Near where I grew up, a wind farm has recently been built....and there is a set of photos of the windmills. One of the pictures (the best in the bunch) is geographically tagged:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62486739@N00/156946957

Though libraries can definitely use Flickr to post pictures of their library/events and such, I'm not sure the geotagging tool is helpful for PR uses.... but I still think it's cool! Perhaps it could be a reference tool though....

5 down, 18 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment