Saturday, November 14, 2009

THING 23!!!!!!

YEAH - I've made it to the end of this journey. I definitely have learned a lot of things along the way. But I think the two central things that I've learned is through my failure with some of these technological tools, I've learned to be empathetic with patrons who are struggling with technology and are frustrated that they are struggling. And the second thing is that there is SOOOOOO much information out there on the web. During some of these explorations, I really had to limit myself from spending too much time exploring the site and its content, otherwise I may never have gotten all 23 things (or anything else) done.

What were my favorite discoveries? Well the geographic tagging tool on Flickr was very interesting and could be used in so many different ways. I also enjoyed Thing 10 - experimenting with online image generators - Big Huge Labs was amazing - the pop art image I created of the Navy Pier Ferris Wheel looks so professional. I love LibraryThing (Thing 11), but I already loved it before embarking on this journey, so that doesn't really count as a discovery. I also think that online document creators/editors are quite useful - they negate the neccessity of purchasing very expensive Office software (take that Microsoft). And finally YouTube is amazing - you can find just about anything.

Though it was a great experience to discover all these technologies, I honestly believe there are a lot of these sites/types of sites that I will probably never go back to. I just think there's such a thing as having too much technology in your life. I'm not one of those people that can spend hours and hours just poking around the web. I get on, check my e-mail, check Facebook, etc and am typically done in less than half an hour.

So, in summary, it is definitely useful to be aware of all 23 of these Things. However, some will be in my daily life more than others.

0 Things left!!!!!!! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment