Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thing 16

No, I didn't forget how to count. According to the outline laid by my instructor for the course I'm doing this blog for, I'm supposed to skip thing 15 (for now) and move along to 16. So stay tuned for thing 15. How's that for a cliff hanger?

OK, so thing 16 is wikis. Sure we've all heard of Wikipedia, but do we really understand the Wiki part? At my last place of employment, we had an internal wiki that was used for procedural type information (that didn't really fit in official documents like company policy etc) It seemed to be mostly managers that edited and added content to it, but it was still quite useful.

Anyhou, so I poked around one of the example wikis suggested by the 23 things blog - I looked at the wiki for Bull Run library in VA. It was interesting because I'm not sure it's a true wiki. The "about the wiki" page says it's only being edited by 1 person - and that person isn't even a library staff person..... It was also interesting because it had an odd hodgepodge of content. There was typical stuff (information on programming, new books, etc there was also random stuff like basic spanish phrases..... Helpful information, though a library wiki is probably not the first place I would think to look.

So using wikis in a public library environment. I think they could be used for staff information - such as I described as being done at my previou workplace, but I think they could also be used for book reviews, event promotion, policy info, and a whole host of other things.

15 down, 8 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment